Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth

Go Back   Multaqa Ahl al-Hadeeth > Fiqh of Ahlulhadeeth & Comparative Fiqh
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Lenght of Beard

Asssalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Dear Shaykh Hamdan, I have been told that there are no differences of opinion amongst the scholars of Ahlus-Sunnah regarding the beard being an obligation. However, apparently there is a difference of opinion regarding the length of the beard and that it is not necessarily restricted to a minimum of one fist length.

So that is the true postion regarding the length as I have seen many of our major scholars including Shaykh Bin Baz and many others in the Permanent Committee of Scholars having beard less than a fist length.

Barakallahu feek.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم و الصلاة و السلام على خير المرسلين

Inshalah, i will leave this question for shaikh haitham to answer but I would like to state two points, if you and shaikh haitham do not mind, inshallah ( smile)

1. I have made a research long time ago about this matter and found out that the difference of opinion that scholars have had about permessibility to trim the length of the beard was concerning whether it is allowed to trim what is longer than the length of fist. thus, all agree no one should take anything from beard if it is less than fist lentgh.

2. Scholars who you have mentioned having short beards their beards could not grow longer and they state that it is not allowed to even take one single hair of your beard. It is normal, I have come across many that their beards do not grow longer than what they have or some , subhan allah, it looks as if it is trimmed but it is how it is.

We are waiting, inshallah, for Shaikh haitham reply to benefit from ( smile)

Walllahu A'lam

Why Posts Are Deleted?
[Subscribe] Oasis.of.Serenity

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Waalykum assalam warahmatullahi wabarakaatuh.

Welcome to the Multaqa brother abuadam.

I hope you are not under the impression that I am a scholar or a Mufti of some sort. I would rather for the questions to be directed to all members of the Multaqa.

As brother Ayman stated, the beards of many Najdis do not grow to be long.

The Prophet ASWS ordered us to make our beards plentiful. Whatever is considered to be plentiful by the people’s norm would be adequate.

If someone says, but there must be a criterion for plentiful. We say: the criterion is: the people’s norm. Just like being tall, short, fat, thin … etc.

So, as long as you are described as someone with a plentiful beard then that means you have met the obligation, Wallahu A’lam.

It is worth noting that all four schools of thought say that the beard is not to be shorter than a fist length.

There is more to this issue. Perhaps we could discuss it further if the need arises.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 AM

Assalamu'alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

sheikh,should nt one leave the beard as that's what s.a.w commanded us to do? what's the daleel for triming wat's below one fist
jazakallahukhair in advance
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwairiyah View Post
should not one leave the beard as that's what s.a.w commanded us to do? what's the daleel for triming wat's below one fist.
Waalykum Assalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

The Prophet ASWS did not command us to leave the beard indefinitaly. This is why the four schools allow trimming the beard beyond the length of a fist. Some Hanbalis are of the opinion that a beard is to be left untouched.

So the majority agrees that it is OK to trim. The issue is at what point is it OK to trim.
As long as the order from the Hadeeth is met, then there is no problem in trimming. So as long as the person maintains a plentiful beard then it does not matter whether he trims it or not.

Another thing is that the beard that is talked about here is the hair that grows on the jaw and chin. So it is OK to shave hair which grows on the cheeks and neck, because it is not part of the "beard".

Wallahu A'lam.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Jazakallahu khairan to everyone who have responded.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:48 AM
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Hamdan View Post
So it is OK to shave hair which grows on the cheeks and neck, because it is not part of the "beard".

Wallahu A'lam.
Shaikh haitham,

Is that sentence was written by mistake because beard on the cheek is part of the beard!!

Why Posts Are Deleted?

If I do not greet back in writing then know I do it verbally because sometimes I am too busy and just want to answer the question.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Shaikh Haitham,

It is much appreacied if you can elobrate further on the trimming issue because as far as i know and based on my rsearches scholars who allowed it limited to the part which is more than a fist lentgh!

Jazakom Allah khier

Why Posts Are Deleted?

Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Another thing is that the beard that is talked about here is the hair that grows on the jaw and chin. So it is OK to shave hair which grows on the cheeks and neck, because it is not part of the "beard".
As-salâmu 'alaikum,

Is that view in light of the linguistical meaning of the word "lihyâ"?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayman bin khaled View Post
beard on the cheek is part of the beard!!

The hair which grows on the cheeks is not part of the beard. Neither is the hair which grows on the neck.
The beard is the hair which grows around the jaw and chin only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Musa View Post
Is that view in light of the linguistical meaning of the word "lihyâ"?

It is both, Shar'ee and linguistic. The Shar'ee is based on the linguistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayman bin khaled View Post
It is much appreacied if you can elobrate further on the trimming issue because as far as i know and based on my rsearches scholars who allowed it limited to the part which is more than a fist lentgh!

This is the official position of the four schools of thought. But there is no strong proof to support it. Also, there is no authentic proof that the Prophet ASWS's beard was very long.
The point is that the beard has to be plentiful, just as per the Prophetic order. Keeping the beard at the length of a fist will achieve this objective (being plenty), but so will keeping it slightly shorter or longer.
This is what I know Wallahu A'lam.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Multaqa Fiqh Q&A

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Shaikh haitham,may allah preserve you,

Just to clarify the confusion i have: isn't cheeks means خدود in Arabic?

in lisaan al-arab :

اللِّحية اسم يجمع من الشعر ما نبت على الخدّين والذقَن

Quote:
Also, there is no authentic proof that the Prophet ASWS's beard was very long.

It is true that there is no one authentic Hadith shows the prophet trimming it. However, knowing that he did not have long beard does not mean that he trimmed it because as we know that some people's beards do not grow long anyway as we mentioned earlier.

Quote:

This is the official position of the four schools of thought. But there is no strong proof to support it

As far as I recall their evidneces were in the circle of the following:

1. command of growing is left loose without a limitation

2. there is no proof that the prophet trimmied or took from his beard

3. the act of abdullah bin Umar, who is known to be the most of following sunnah, showed that taking from beard is allowed yet it is limited to what is more than the fist since he did not take more than that.

Quote:

The Prophet ASWS did not command us to leave the beard indefinitaly. This is why the four schools allow trimming the beard beyond the length of a fist.

As far as I know they relied on the act of Umar not the hadith itself where the prophet command to grow beard, wallahu A'lam

I agree that the term I'fiaa of beard is to let beard be plentiful but determing the standard to what is plentiful should be set for people otherwise it will leave wrong impression amongst laypeople. I recall some they said that having a very short beard like u know the fashion ones what they considered as a beard and more than that it is too much!!!

Wallahu A'lam

Why Posts Are Deleted?

Last edited by Ayman bin khaled; 11-03-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:20 AM

Assalamu'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

sheikh,i was referring to these ahadeeths
muhammed s.a.w said :
let your beards grow and trim your moutsaches
the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Cut your moustaches and let your beards grow: be different from the Magians.”

in another hadeeth muhammed salla;ahu aaihi wa sallam said
Cut the moustache and leave the beard alone; be different from the mushrikeen.”
Old 11-06-2007, 03:35 AM

Assalamu'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Question:
Some men have hair growing on their cheeks. Is it permitted to shave it or not?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The hair on the cheeks is included in the ruling on the beard. It is not permitted to remove it or shave it or cut it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Trim the moustache and let the beard grow: be different from the mushrikeen.” Among those who have stated that the hair on the cheeks is part of the beard are the authors of al-Qaamoos and al-Lisaan [famous Arabic dictionaries].

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/144

sheikh is there difference in opinion in hairs on cheeks being part of beard
Old 11-06-2007, 08:09 AM

Bismillah
Assalamoalaikum
The scholars of Ahlul Hadith of indo-pak are generally of the view of Sh Ibn Baz that the beard should be left indefineitely. Secondly, not even the minority hanabillah, but some Shafa'i scholars also believe that the beard should be left as is and never touched, as mentione by Al-Nawawi in Sharah of Muslim. I believe this is the correct opinion, and ibn 'umar's deed was limited to the hajj/'umra only. It has been proven in no narration that the Prophet sallallahoalaihiwasallam did that himself. This to me is the stronger opinion, and what i practice. However, the other opinion that it should be fist atleast also holds some water. The opinion of Sh Haitham, with all respect, is not correct in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Jazakumullahu khairan.

By the way, there is another opinion on this issue, and that is that the beard is to be maintained at a fist's length as much as possible. This is different than saying: it is to be a minimum of a fist's length.
This is Shaikh Albani's opinion (RA).
He also said that it was not only ibn Omar RAA who used to cut to a fist's length. And that he had proof that it was not only done during Hajj or Umrah.
Shaikh Albani was also of the view that neck and cheek hair were not part of beard.
Refer to his taped discussion with Shaikh Abu Ishaaq alHuwainee on this matter.

Here is Shaikh Sulaimaan alMaajid's opinion. Those who watch alMajd TV probably know him:
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showpo...&postcount=104

Wallahu A'lam.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM

It's written by Nuh Keller, and I know how much you guys love him ...but honestly, I think he raises a lot of good points, so I think this can be a case of take the good from no matter where it comes from!!!

As follows:

Dear Brother Isa Robert Martin:

Thank you for your letter of 10 August 1995 which read, in part:

. . . My question is not regarding the obligation to grow the beard and trim the mustache. This is clear from the statements of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and give him peace), the statements of the great Imams, and the practice of the early Muslims and righteous people up until the present day. My question is regarding the actual length of the beard, in which the beard must be grown. What did the great early Imams say regarding this specific matter? What is the position of the four madhhabs on this specific matter?

Ibn 'Umar relates from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) that he said: "Do otherwise than those who ascribe partners to Allah (al-mushrikin): leave beards be, and trim mustaches." And ibn 'Umar, when he went on hajj or 'umra, grasped his beard with his hand, and removed what was in excess of it (Sahih al-Bukhari. 9 vols. Cairo 1313/1895. Reprint (9 vols. in 3). Beirut: Dar al-Jil, n.d., 7.206: 5892 and Sahih Muslim, 5 vols. Cairo 1376/1956. Reprint. Beirut: Dar al-Fikr, 1403/1983, 1.222: 259).

In the Hanafi madhhab, there is no harm (la ba's) in trimming the edges of the beard, though the handful is sunna, for when a narrator (Ibn 'Umar, in this case), has done something in ostensive contravention to what he has narrated (the words "leave beards be"), Hanafi bases of jurisprudence say this shows that the narrator knows that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) has indicated that the original ruling has been superseded (mansukh) by a subsequent one--permitting the beard to be trimmed, in this case. But trimming it when it is already less than a handful is not permissible in the Hanafi school (Ibn 'Abidin: Radd al-muhtar 'ala al-durr al-mukhtar. 5 vols. Bulaq 1272/1855. Reprint. Beirut: Dar Ihya' al-Turath al-'Arabi, 1407/1987, 2.113).

Muhammad ibn Hasan al-Shaybani reports in Kitab al-athar, from Imam Abu Hanifa, that "the sunna concerning it [the beard] is the handful, and consists in a man grasping his beard with his hand, and whatever exceeds that, he cuts" (ibid, 5.261).

A Hanafi sheikh whom my wife and I study with, has told us (without mentioning a reference) that there is disagreement as to where this "handful" should begin from, some holding that one puts the index finger of it just below the lower lip, while according to others, one puts it below the bottom of the chin. The former will obviously result in a much shorter "handful."

The Shafi'i scholar Imam Nawawi in his commentary on Sahih Muslim says of the above hadith:

As for trimming the mustache, it is also a sunna. It is praiseworthy to begin from the right side . . . . As for how much should be trimmed, the soundest position is that one trims it until the edge of the lip appears, not trimming it down to the roots. As for the versions of the hadith containing the words crop mustaches, (ihfu al-shawarib) they mean "crop that which grows over the lips," and Allah knows best.

As for leave beards be, it means "make them ample" (Ar. tawfir, to make much, abundant, copious) and is also the meaning of make beards plenteous (awfu al-liha) in other versions of the hadith. It had been the Persians' custom to cut their beards, so the Sacred Law forbade that (Sahih Muslim bi Sharh al-Nawawi. 18 vols. Cairo 1349/1930. Reprint (18 vols. in 9). Beirut: Dar al-Fikr, 1401/1981, 3.149).

Imam Baghawi records that "Malik has said, 'Shaving the mustache is an innovation (bid'a) that has appeared among people'" (Sharh al-sunna. 16 vols. Damascus: al-Maktab al-Islami, 1400/1980, 12.108).

Ibn Daqiq al-'Eid says: "I do not know anyone who has understood from the command to leave beards be that it is permissible to do them up so that they seem copious, as some people do" (Ibn Hajar al-'Asqalani: Fath al-Bari bi sharh Sahih al-Bukhari. 14 vols. Cairo: al-Maktaba al-Salafiyya, 1390/1970, 10.351).

In his commentary on Sahih al-Bukhari, the great Hanafi hadith Imam Badr al-Din al-'Ayni says:

If one objects: "What does 'leave beards be' mean, when 'to leave be' (al-i'fa') literally means 'to make plenteous,' and there are people, who, if they were to leave their beard, following the outward sense of leave beards be, their beard would become outrageous in length and width, and look disgusting, so that the person would become a topic of conversation, or a proverb"--The reply is that it is established from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) that this hadith is conditioned by a specific context [i.e. the demand to do the contrary to what the Persians and non-Arabs did, established by the first words of the hadith], and that the amount and definition of the beard that is unlawful to leave uncut have been differed upon by the early Muslims . . . . The meaning, in my opinion, is "as long as it does not exceed what is customary among [religious] people." 'Ata' [ibn Abi Rabah, Mufti of Mecca, d. 114/732), has said, "There is no harm in trimming a little from the length and sides of his beard, if it grows large and long, in order to avoid notoriety, or if one risks being made fun of" ('Umda al-qari sharh Sahih al-Bukhari. 20 vols. Cairo: Mustafa Babi al-Halabi, 1392/1972, 18.76)

Imam Baghawi says: "'Leaving the beard be' means 'making it ample' (tawfiruha) . . . . It is related from Ibn 'Umar that he used to grasp his beard with his whole hand, then remove what was in excess of that. This was also related from Abu Hurayra. Ibrahim [al-Nakha'i, d. 108/726] said, 'They [the Sahaba] used to trim their beards on the sides'" (Sharh al-sunna, 12.1089).

For trimming the beard, one may adduce as evidence the hadith of 'Umar ibn Harun, from Usama ibn Zayd, from 'Amr ibn Shu'ayb, from his father, from his grandfather, that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) "used to trim from his beard, from its sides and its length" (Sunan al-Tirmidhi. 5 vols. Cairo n.d. Reprint. Beirut: Dar Ihya al-Turath al-'Arabi, n.d., 5.94: 2762). The last narrator in the hadith's chain of transmission, 'Umar ibn Harun, is agreed-upon among most hadith Imams as being "fatally weak" (matruk) despite (or perhaps because of which) which, Tirmidhi mentions after citing the hadith that his own sheikh, Bukhari, had a good opinion of the narrator. The hadith perhaps remains weak, but Bukhari's opinion carries its weight. My sheikh in Shafi'i fiqh, 'Abd al-Wakil Durubi used to cite it, and I have not met a single shafi'i scholar (faqih) who did not trim his beard to considerably less than the-handful-below-the-chin length.

The following points can be inferred from all of the above, in answer to your question:

(1) The hadiths about "Leaving the beard be" are unconditional, that is, can be read to indicate that it is obligatory not to cut the beard at all.

(2) This ruling seems to be conditioned by a number of considerations from the actual practice of the Sahaba, who were trained by the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) and intimately familiar with his appearance, such as:

(a) that Ibn 'Umar, one of the most learned Sahaba and keenest in following the sunna, used to cut his beard when he went on hajj or 'umra, that is, presumably in anticipation of entering the ihram or "state of pilgrim sanctity" in which it is unlawful for a Muslim to cut or otherwise remove any hairs of his beard, a situation in which a learned person could be expected to trim the maximum allowable, since he would be unable to to so (while in ihram) for some time to come. This shows that the unconditionality of the hadiths was, in Ibn 'Umar's view, conditioned by trimming the beard, in all probability by instruction or example of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), since the Sahaba were all legally upright ('udul) by consensus (ijma') of Muslim scholars, and it is inconceivable that they would institutionalize and set a precedent that was in direct defiance of a religious obligation.

(b) Imam Baghawi reports that trimming the beard was also the practice of Abu Hurayra, another of the foremost scholars of the Sahaba, and Baghawi reports from Ibrahim al-Nakha'i, the sheikh of the early Muslim community in Iraq, that the Sahaba used to trim their beards on the sides.

(c) If the earliest Muslims had all had beards down to their waists or to their knees from never cutting them, this would have been conveyed to us by hadiths, but it has not.

(3) The wisdom of letting beards be, as in the above hadith of Bukhari and Muslim, is doing otherwise than the non-Muslims. Other hadiths, related in the Musannaf of Ibn Abi Shayba and other sources, explicitly state that the Persians used to shave their faces and grow their mustaches long. Distinguishing ourselves from them could be accomplished with considerably less than a long beard.

(4) General Islamic values entail beauty in behavior, manners, and dress. When a man once asked if liking fine clothes and sandals was a form of arrogance, the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, "Verily, Allah is beautiful and loves beauty" (Sahih Muslim, 1.93: 91).

(5) The general Islamic demand for beauty entails refinement and moderation, at minimum meaning not to deliberately seek notoriety through one's appearance. The Prophet of Islam (Allah bless him and give him peace) has said, "Whoever dresses in a garment of notoriety in this world, Allah will dress him in a garment of humiliation on Judgement Day" (Musnad al-Imam Ahmad. 6 vols. Cairo 1313/1895. Reprint. Beirut: Dar Sadir, n.d., 2.139), a well authenticated (hasan) hadith. One's standards for this are not non-Muslims, however, as the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) has said, "Whoever imitates a people is one of them" (Sunan Abi Dawud. 4 vols. Cairo n.d. Reprint (4 vols. in 2). Istanbul: al-Maktaba al-Islamiyya, n.d. 4.44: 4031). Rather, the standard is that of other religious Muslims.

(6) In consideration of these general values ((4) and (5)), Imam al-'Ayni above investigates the length that obliges one to cut the beard, though he reports that the earliest authorities did not agree on this.

To summarize, to have a beard is obligatory for the Muslim man. The wording of the above sahih hadith indicates it should be abundant, though this is conditioned by the 'urf or common acknowledgement for it among religious, practicing Muslims. The early Muslims trimmed their beards, and there is not an unequivocal text (nass) that establishes a fixed legal limit to length and size. While the sunna is considered by many ulama to be "the handful," my own sheikhs trimmed their beards considerably closer than this, and they were ulama. It is my conviction and the premise of my approach to Islamic law that Allah will not punish the ordinary Muslim for something differed about between traditional ulama.

These considerations are particularly relevant to the circumstance that Islam has now spread to virtually every race on earth, and that genetically, not every man can grow a beard like Ibn 'Umar's. In my view, the differing capacities make preferable the more general fiqh criteria of (1) having a beard, (2) "abundance" according to one's capacity, so it doesn't look like the shaving of the non-Muslims, (3) and well-keptness that accords with the general Islamic standards of beauty (among people who are practicing Muslims) and avoidance of notoriety--rather than a certain mandatory length. And Allah knows best.

I remain at your service, sincerely,

Nuh Keller
Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I think that the idea that we should keep growing our beard without end...well it's just preposterous in my opinion. I've seen Pakistanis who grow their beard so that it goes all the way down to their waist!!!! Is this really what people want? #Deleted improper words#. Brother as-Salafi, do you really think someone should grow his beard to his waist or even to his knees?

I wanted to raise a few more points here:

Firstly, how is it possible that a Sahabi would contradict the explicit command of the Prophet [s] by trimming his beard?

Secondly, and this is really important, if it was true that we were to grow our beard to the floors,, then don't you think there would have been Hadiths which would have mentioned how the Muslims had beards going all the way down to the waist??? It would be one of the SALIENT features of the Muslims, such that it would be highly unlikely that nobody would have commented on it. For example, if you look at Sikhs, then the first thing you notice and comment on is their extremely long hair...so if the Sahabah had such excessively long beards, then surely this would have been mentioned by someone in the Hadiths. The narrators mentioned even minor details about the Prophet's appearance, and so how can it be missed that the Prophet [s] or the Sahabah had beards down to the floor?

Thirdly, about the cheek hair, then some men have hair that goes all the way up to their eyes...should they not trim them at all?

Fourthly, again about the cheek hair, I have noticed that beards look MORE "beardly" when you clean up the cheek hair and make a uniform cheek line...

Fifthly, in regards to the beard being fist length, then why is it that the Prophet [s] did not mention this specific length? If this were really a law in Islam, then wouldn't the Prophet [s] have clearly mentioned it?

Quote:
This to me is the stronger opinion, and what i practice. However, the other opinion that it should be fist atleast also holds some water. The opinion of Sh Haitham, with all respect, is not correct in my opinion.
I honestly don't agree with you brother. I think of all three opinions, the one about growing hair until infinity is the opinion which holds no water, because of all the points above.

Sixthly, some men can grow beards better than others. I've seen some people with fist length beards that are very nice, as their hair is very straight and beautiful. On the other hand, some men have beard hair that turns scraggly and unruly...so their fist length just looks repulsive. Just like hair cuts vary from one person to another, then surely beards can vary a bit too..I really think that some Muslims just have horribly scary beards. I agree with having copious beards, but I think that they should look nice. If that means slightly less than a fist, then I don't see how that could be a problem.

The fact that the Sahabi cut everything in excess of one fist doesn't mean that ALL the Sahabah kept it at that length. Just like the Sahabah probably had different lengths of hair on their head, couldn't they also have had different preferences with length of beard?

Last edited by Ayman bin khaled; 11-08-2007 at 02:18 AM. Reason: deleting improper word
Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
By the way, there is another opinion on this issue, and that is that the beard is to be maintained at a fist's length as much as possible. This is different than saying: it is to be a minimum of a fist's length.
I don't understand. What is the difference? Can you please explain?

Quote:
Here is Shaikh Sulaimaan alMaajid's opinion.
Does he have the proper Aqeedah? And what is his opinion...can you summarize his view since some of us can't read Arabic? Barakh-Allah Feek.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 PM

This is from al-Albani's 'as-Silsilah ad-Da'ifah' (5/375):

"However, this act (of trimming the beard) is affirmed from some of the Salaf, and for you, I present a brief exposition on the topic below:

1 - Marwan bin Salim al-Muqaffa’ said:

"I saw Ibn 'Umar grasp his beard and cut off that which had exceeded a fistful."

This was reported by Abu Dawud and others with a hasan chain as I have explained in ''Irwa' al-Ghalil' (920) and 'Sahih Abu Dawud' (2041).

2 - Nafi’ said:

"When 'Abdullah bin 'Umar used to finish fasting in Ramadan and he intended to make Hajj, then he would not take off any of his hair or beard until he had made Hajj."

And in another narration: "When 'Abdullah bin 'Umar used to cut his hair after Hajj or 'Umrah, he would also take from his beard and moustache."

Reported by Malik in 'al-Muwatta'.'

And al-Khallal reports in 'at-Tarajjul' (p. 11) with an authentic chain from Mujahid, who said: "I saw Ibn 'Umar grasp his beard on the day of sacrifice, then he told the cupper: "Take off what is below a fistful."" al-Baji said in 'Sharh 'al-Muwatta'': "meaning that he used to trim form it along with cutting his hair, and Malik recommended that since trimming it is in a way that does not alter the natural disposition of the creation in terms of beauty..."

3 - Ibn 'Abbas said, regarding His - the Most High - Saying: {“Then let them complete their prescribed duties…”} [al-Hajj: 29]:

"The duties are: shaving the head, trimming the moustache, plucking out the armpit hairs, shaving the pubic hairs, cutting the nails and taking hair off the cheeks (and in another narration, the beard) and throwing stones at the pillars (jamarat), and staying in 'Arafah and Muzdalifah.”

Reported by Ibn Abi Shaybah (4/85) and Ibn Jarir at-Tabari in his 'Tafsir' (18/109) with an authentic chain.

4 - Muhammad bin Ka'ab al-Quradhi used to say, regarding the verse: {"Then let them complete their prescribed duties…"} [al-Hajj: 29] what has been stated above, and in it is his saying "...and trimming the moustache and beard."

Reported by Ibn Jarir as well, with a chain that is authentic.

5 - Mujahid said the same as above with the wording:

"...and trimming the moustache...and trimming the beard."

Reported by Ibn Jarir as well, and its chain is authentic.

6 - al-Muharabi said:

"I heard a man ask Ibn Jurayj regarding His Saying: {"Then let them complete their prescribed duties…"} [al-Hajj: 29], and he said: "Trimming the beard and the moustache...""

Reported by Ibn Jarir also, and its chain is authentic.

7 - And in 'al-Muwata'' also, that it reached him that when Salim bin 'Abdullah intended to go into ihram, he asked for some scissors and trimmed his moustache and beard before setting off and before putting on his ihram.

8 - Abu Hilal said:

"I was informed by an old man - I think he was from the people of Madinah - who said: "I saw Abu Hurayrah trim the hair from his cheeks." And he said: "And I saw him with a yellowish beard."

Reported by Ibn Sa'd in 'at-Tabaqat' (4/334).

So, the authentic narrations contain that which is a proof for the permissibility of trimming the beard or taking from it, and that it was a well known practice amongst the Salaf. This is in opposition to what some of our brothers from Ahl al-Hadith think, those who are severe against allowing the trimming of the beard, clinging to the general saying of his "…and leave the beard!" without paying attention to the fact that what was understood from the general meaning was not intended due to the lack of the action of the Salaf upon this interpretation, and amongst them are those who reported the general hadith itself, and they are: 'Abdullah bin 'Umar, and his hadith is in the two 'Sahih's; Abu Hurayrah, and his hadith is in 'Sahih Muslim,' and I have given the origins of both in 'Jilbab al-Mar'ah al-Muslimah' (p. 185-187); and Ibn 'Abbas, and his hadith is in 'Majma' az-Zawa'id' (5/169).

And from that in which there is no doubt is that the reporter of the hadith is the most knowledgeable about the intended meaning of it than those who did not hear it from the Prophet (peace be upon him), and he is the more enthusiastic in following it than them.

al-Khallal has reported from them (Ibn 'Umar and Abu Hurayrah) in 'at-Tarajjul' (p. 11) with two authentic chains, and he reported from Imam Ahmad that he was asked about taking from the beard, so he said: "'Ibn Umar used to cut off that which was in excess of a fistful," and it is as if this was Ahmad’s opinion. Harb said: “I said to him (Ahmad): "So, what is meant by 'leaving it'?" He replied: "It is reported from the Prophet that this is what 'leaving' was, according to him.""

And it is well known that the narrator is the most knowledgeable about what he narrates than others, especially when he one who is very strict about following the Sunnah - such as Ibn 'Umar - and he saw his Prophet - the one who ordered with leaving it - day and night, so reflect upon this!

Then al-Khallal reported by way of Ishaq, who said: “I asked Ahmad about a man who trims from his cheeks, so he said: "He should take off his beard what is in excess of a fistful." I said: "And the hadith of the Prophet: "Trim the moustache and leave the beard"?" He replied: "He takes from its length and from under his neck," and I saw Abu 'Abdullah (Ahmad) trim its length and take from under his neck."

And I have expanded a little bit here by mentioning the sayings of some of the Salaf and imams due to their strength and due to the misconception of many people that this is in opposition to the general "and leave the beard," and they did not pay attention to the principle that when an element from the elements of the general ruling is not acted upon, then is it proof that it is not intended meaning."
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM

If someone said to you "leave your mustache", would you interpret this to mean keep growing it until it starts swirling around in circles like a circus clown? No, you would think this means not to shave it, i.e. leave the mustache present.